Administrative professionals. What in the world would we do without you?
For starters, probably not have running businesses, full stop.
Administrative professionals are the backbone of many businesses and organizations, providing essential support and ensuring that daily operations, well, operate. These individuals may serve in various roles, including secretaries, administrative assistants, receptionists, executive assistants, and office managers, among others.
I’d say they deserve a day that recognizes and celebrates their invaluable contributions to the success of their respective organizations.
Administrative Professionals Day is April 26 (mark your calendar!), and in today’s blog, we delve into the history and significance of this special day and provide some suggestions on how you can celebrate the administrative professionals in your life.
A Brief History
Why the history lesson? Because Administrative Professionals Day isn’t some new Hallmark event or just another silly Today is National Fill-In-The-Blank Day.
We’re going to go for a ride in the way back machine to World War II when there was a significant shortage of skilled administrative personnel in the United States. In response to this, the National Secretaries Association was founded in 1942, aiming to support the professional development of secretaries and attract more people to the profession.
Still with me?
The next leg of our way back machine journey takes us to 1952, when the Association, in conjunction with public relations executive Harry Klemfuss and U.S. Secretary of Commerce Charles Sawyer, established National Secretaries Week, with Wednesday of that week designated as National Secretaries Day.
As you could imagine the name National Secretaries Day became a little too old-timey and evolved to be more inclusive and better reflect the diverse range of administrative roles in the modern workplace. In 2000, the International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP), the organization that succeeded the National Secretaries Association, officially changed the name to Administrative Professionals Day.
I hope you’ve been paying attention, because there will be a quiz. Kidding.
How to Show Recognition
How do show these unsung heros some love?
We’ve got suggestions:
- Show appreciation with a personalized note or card: A handwritten note expressing gratitude for their hard work and dedication can make a world of difference. Take the time to write a heartfelt message acknowledging the specific ways they contribute to your team’s success.
- Give a thoughtful gift: Consider gifts that will help make their work life more enjoyable or comfortable, such as a quality planner, a comfortable ergonomic chair, or a gift certificate to a local café or restaurant where they can enjoy a meal or coffee break. But for the best gift, see SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT below.
- Organize a team lunch or event: Plan a special event, like a team lunch or after-work gathering, to celebrate your administrative professionals together. This can be an excellent opportunity to foster team spirit and strengthen relationships among colleagues.
- Offer professional development opportunities: Encourage and support their growth by offering professional development opportunities such as workshops, seminars, or online courses that will help them advance in their careers.
- Publicly acknowledge their contributions: During a team meeting or in a company-wide communication, highlight the hard work and dedication of your administrative professionals and thank them for their contributions.
Another way to show recognition is…
🚨SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT🚨
Is there a gift more tailored-made for Administrative Professionals Day than our Inner Zen Relaxation Gift Basket?
That’s a rhetorical question.
You can’t thank them enough with this R&R basket, built in a faux leather storage box, including a mini Buddha Board drawing easel, Aloe infused socks, travel candle, black raspberry vanilla soap, and more!
BasketWorks is a woman-owned gift basket company located in the north suburbs of Chicago (specifically Northbrook, IL) since 1997. We are proud to offer a variety of gifts and gift baskets appropriate for all occasions. Each of our packages is built to order, allowing for customization at no additional cost to our clients. Contact us today!